A fine ornate die-stamped silvered example. Imperial crowned laurel sprays encirling a Maltese cross with balls to the tips and dragons between the arms. The top and bottom arms of the cross bear the three seaxes of Middlesex. The left and right arms bear the letter “T” surmounted by the crown of HSH the Duke of Teck (Hon. Colonel of the regiment from 1880 until his death in 1900). Between the top arm of the cross and the crown, a Bishop’s mitre; below the lower arm and the wreath, a strung bugle. To the centre of the cross, a circlet inscribed “SAINT MARTIN'S LE GRAND” encircling a shield. Across the base of the wreath, a tri-part scroll inscribed “POST OFFICE, XXIV MIDDLESEX RIFLE REGIMEN”. Four screw posts to reverse.
49th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers formed at the General Post Office 13th February 1868; renumbered 24th in September 1880. 24th supplied personnel for the Army Post Office Corps for active service overseas.
Please fill in the information below