Coldstream Military Antiques
Tel: 01628 488188
Web site: https://www.coldstreammilitaryantiques.com/
A fine and scarce die-cast silver-plated example. Crowned Maltese cross bearing applied circlet inscribed “1st MIDDSX. R.V. VICTORIA & ST. GEORGE” with St. George and Dragon to centre. Three screw posts to reverse now replaced with two loops.
Duke of Cumberland’s Sharpshooters survived the volunteer disbandments of 1814 as a rifle club being granted the title The Royal Victoria Rifle Club in 1835 and in 1853 permitted to be styled the Victoria Volunteer Rifle Corps; became 1st Middlesex Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1859 with HQ at Kilburn. In 1867 HQ moved to St. Johns Wood and thence to Davies Street, Westminster in 1892. Amalgamated with 6th Corps in June 1892. 1st April 1908 amalgamated with 19th and transferred to the new Territorial Force as 9th (County of London) Bn. The London Regiment.